Brackish Water Desalination using the reverse osmosis process, is a well tested and recognized technology that provides high quality potable water in an economically feasible and reliable way.
The method is based on the flow of highly pressurized brackish water through membranes that separate the intake in two parts; the permeate water that is allowed to pass through the membrane (50% – 85% of the intake water) and the concentrate water that is retained on the pressurized side of the membrane, (15% – 50% of the intake water). The concentrate contains 99.7% of the permeate water salts. The permeate water has a significantly low content of salts, making it suitable for drinking, irrigation and most industrial applications.
The advanced seawater desalination systems constitute a well tested solution for resolving water quality and water shortage issues in communities, industry, hotels and resorts.
Advanced Desalination Systems
The term “advanced” systems refers to the integration of a series of characteristics that attribute a reliable and economical operation with the use of modern equipment and technologies.
These characteristics include the following:
• High pressure piping network made entirely of stainless steel seawater type 904L/duplex
• Design includes 2 high pressure pumps
• Smart electronic control with the use of a PLC and digital touch screen
• Remote control and monitoring
• Provision for integration of energy saving system (large capacity units) for minimization of energy consumption
• Minimal use of dispensable chemicals
• Integrated automatic chemical cleaning system (Clean-In-Place CIP system)
• Frequency inverters for the optimum and easy adjustment to the variations of the intake water salinity (salt content)
• Mechanical equipment by world-wide recognized manufacturers (Grundfos, Danfoss Demnark, Siemens Buerkert, TecSis Germany, Dow Filmtec U.S.A., Hydranautics U.S.A., Pentair Water, Praher Austria)
SYCHEM is one among the few companies internationally and the single one domestically, that after years of experience in energy saving systems in seawater desalination systems, provides the possibility of integrating these systems within large capacity brackish water desalination systems.
Furthermore, SYCHEM’s SYRO BW units are provided in superior ergonomic state within 316L stainless steel frame of special corrosion protection and adjustable base or within fully installed steel containers.
Installation and Design
Indicative critical design parameters are presented below:
• Method and materials used for seawater suction
• Tanks and water treatment prior to the desalination system inlet and after production (resolution of biofouling control issues, corrosion control, etc)
• Piping network arrangement and water management
Typical Technical Characteristics
Brackish water desalination systems can operate with total dissolved solids (TDS) ranging from 500 to 15.000mg/L and can produce potable water with a maximum TDS concentration of 500mg/L.
By applying innovative design concepts, SYCHEM provides desalination systems for high salinity brackish water using pumps made of titanium (Grundfos CRT), series SYRO BW H.
All SYRO BW units (>2m3/h) have the following characteristics:
• Touch screen that allows monitoring and easy control of the system operation and provides a programming capabilityof all critical operating parameters (pressure, flow, etc)• 316L Stainless steel frame with special corrosion protection coating and adjustable base
• High pressure durable piping networks consisting entirely of stainless steel seawater type 904L/duplex
• Capability of immediate disassembly of the high pressure network without the use of special tools for easy maintenance
• DOW Membranes – Filmtech / Hydranautics U.S.A
• Special type membrane pressure vessels for easy maintenance and membrane replacement
• Integrated chemical cleaning system with automated control by the PLC
• Electrical panel with PLC and digital touch screen panel and capability for monitoring and controlling of a series of parameters through graphic visualizations.
• High quality digital measuring instruments, fully connected to the PLC with touch screen display.
• Full automation (alarm for all critical parameters, connection to tank level switches, control of auxiliary pumps and post-treatment systems, etc).
• Operation & Maintenance manual including coding for all valves components and components with permanent marking.
In addition to sound design and manufacturing, the proper and smooth operation of a desalination system depends on the technical support and monitoring. SYCHEM owns a well equipped laboratory which validates the quality of produced water through a series of analyses and also a well-organized electronic system for monitoring of all installed desalination units.
The above services, including regular and ad hoc maintenance, may be considered for contractual agreements of monitoring and maintenance, in the scope of assurance of the produced water quality and quantity.
SYCHEM S.A. owns and operates a manufacturing facility for the assembly and maintenance of desalination units, located at the industrial area of Heraklion, Crete. SYCHEM also permanently employs trained and specialized technicians in Athens as well as in Crete. SYCHEM ensures the immediate intervention and solving of any potential failure, as well as continuous training of the technical resources involved in the installed operating unit.
SYCHEM S.A. systems’ high quality of design and construction, along with the expertise relating to each application allow the provision of integrated warranties and specifically:
- 2-year warranty on all the mechanical equipment with immediate and on-site replacement of potential defective parts.
- 3-year warranty on the membranes
- 5-year warranty on the piping network and the electrical equipment